Insulation is one of the most important components for any type of building in countries that are exposed to constant climate changes. The garage is one of these buildings that must always be considered since it has many uses. It can store any type of item that may be dangerous if kept inside the house. Also, it can serve as extra space that can be used for work or gatherings. The garage can either be attached or detached from the house. However, it really does not matter when it comes to insulation. As long as the correct type of insulation is used, garage usage can be efficient. One of the best types of insulation that can be used to make the garage energy efficient is by using spray foam insulation.
Things to Know About Garage Insulation
When people talk about insulating the garage, they simply mean that the garage will be installed with materials that would prevent hot air from flowing in and out of the property. For this to happen, any cracks and voids found on the walls, doors, and ceiling of the garage must be sealed. It is important that people know more about garage insulation. You may refer to the following information so that you can get a deeper understanding about garage insulation:
- There are many types of insulation materials that may be used to insulate a garage. However, a thorough survey must first be made to the property to evaluate its current situation and determine which type of insulation must be used.
- There are many types of insulation contractors in Canada. However, the best contractors are those who are able to give their clients clear reports with regard to feasibility studies and deep-down analysis reports. These are crucial so that the customers will know what will happen to the current setup of their garages.
- Garage insulation is known to help reduce energy bills by a considerable amount. This is because it makes efficient use of any heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems.
- One of the benefits people get when they insulate their garages is the prevention of health issues caused by dust and mold formation inside the garage. When water and moisture coming from condensation are able to freely enter the garage, they can be the reasons for molds and mildews to thrive and build up inside the garage. When people enter the garage, they may get affected by allergies and can have severe health issues.
- Garages are known to store liquids that may not be advisable to be placed inside the house like paints, fuel or various kinds of chemicals. It is a great risk to expose these items to extreme climate changes since they may freeze or combust depending on the climate. However, with proper insulation, the temperature inside the garage can be controlled to keep the integrity of these items. HVAC systems can efficiently run to ensure that the temperature set on the thermostat will be maintained.
- Garage insulation is also a good way to keep pests out of the garage. It is very dangerous when snakes and rodents start infesting the garage. Your children may suddenly get bitten by these pests if you are not careful. Insulation materials used should be able to effectively seal the smallest holes or cracks that may be used by these pests to enter the garage.
- Garage insulation also helps reduce any noise from entering or leaving the garage. This makes it important if you wish to use the garage as your work area or if you have plans to throw parties and meetings inside the garage. In addition to reducing noise, garage insulation can provide better air quality and comfort inside the garage. These also help in making the garage a good place for gatherings or working.
Related Article: Is the Cost of Garage Spray Foam Insulation Worth It?
Making The Garage Energy Efficient with Spray Foam Insulation
Spray foam insulation is made when isocyanate and resin are mixed, cured, expanded, and hardened. By mixing these chemicals, they produce foam that is durable enough that can last for decades. It may make you wonder how spray foam insulation will make your garage energy efficient. One thing you need to understand with spray foam insulation is that before it hardens, the material being sprayed can flow into small cracks and voids that may not be noticeable to any person.
Even the smallest crack can become an entry point for hot air to enter or exit the garage. Since spray foam insulation will be able to effectively enter these spaces, it will be able to seal them once the insulation material expands and hardens. HVAC systems are used during the times when the temperature outside the garage is either too high or cold. This is done to keep the preferred temperature inside the garage.
When the garage is either not insulated or installed with the wrong insulation, the small cracks and voids may not be sealed to prevent the movement of hot air. This is the main cause of energy inefficiency since the HVAC systems will continuously run trying to reach the preferred temperature inside the garage. During summer, it is known that hot air will try to enter the garage due to its lower temperature.
Spray foam insulation is very effective in keeping hot air from leaking into the garage and stops the production of hot air pockets inside the garage. This will help the air-conditioning system reach the preferred temperature set on the thermostat faster. When this happens, the system will automatically shut down and stop using up electricity. This will help reduce your energy bills.
HVAC Systems Work Efficiently with Spray Foam Insulation
Energy efficiency is directly related to the usage of your HVAC systems during specific periods. Spray foam insulation will greatly help in ensuring that these systems will only run for a shorter period of time before they achieve their goals. By taking less time to operate, the use of electricity is considerably reduced. You may contact the Foam Insulation Company at (416) 880-1927 to do a survey on your garage. Our team of experts will be more than happy to present to you a feasibility study and cost-benefit analysis of your property.