Insulating the walls of a house is very important for a homeowner that wishes to incur significant energy savings. Houses located in Canada are known to be affected by extreme climate changes all throughout the year. This makes it necessary to install the best type of insulation found on the market. People have to realize that insulation is not all about the costs that will be incurred to install one. It is important to consider all the different aspects, especially the advantages and benefits a certain type of insulation material can bring to the table.
Just like spray foam insulation, which is currently considered one of the most cost-effective among all types of insulation materials. To give you a better idea of this, the article will give you an estimate on how much it would cost to insulate a house using spray foam insulation. It will also discuss what makes spray foam insulation one of the most cost-effective types of insulation material.
The Concept of Insulation
There are some people who are not familiar with the concept of insulation. Due to this, they are not aware that they may be spending excessive amounts on their energy bills. What they fail to understand is that it is natural for air to flow freely into areas where the temperature is lower. This can be felt at specific times of the year, just like summer where hot air tends to enter the house and make the rooms feel humid, even though the air-conditioning system is running. When this is happening, it just means that the air-conditioning system is finding it difficult to attain the room desired room temperature that has been pre-set on the thermostat.
This is the cause for the significantly high energy bills a homeowner will usually get. The reason why the air-conditioning system finds it difficult to attain the desired temperature is because hot air that was able to flow into the house will create hot air pockets inside the rooms. These pockets are continuously formed and affect the overall room temperature. Insulation is the solution to stop this from happening. What insulation basically does is that it will cover any possible spaces or voids that air would use to pass through to get into or out of the house.
Spray Foam Insulation And Its Benefits
Insulating a house can be done in the different areas of the property. Some would choose insulating only their ceilings, roofs, attics, basements or even the walls of their houses. There are various types of insulation materials that can be used, but a lot of homeowners have opted to go with spray foam insulation. This type of insulation is known to be usable in any of the different areas of the house. This type of insulation is composed mainly of the chemicals; isocyanate and resin. The product is basically sprayed on the surfaces and on the different areas of the house that may contain small cracks and openings that may be impossible for people to spot just by looking at them. Though different types of insulation materials have the same purpose, spray foam insulation has certain characteristics that make it more effective than others. You may refer to the following list for more information on what makes it the better option:
- Spray polyurethane foam (SPF) has a foam texture, which makes it easier for the product to penetrate into small cracks and voids. Also, the product can also be applied to areas that may be hard to reach and cannot be completely sealed by other types of insulation materials. This ensures homeowners that all areas will be covered without worrying that there may have been spots that have not been applied with insulation material.
- This type of insulation material is not a source of food for molds and mildews. Other than the issue with regards to air from flowing into or out of the house, this type can also effectively prevent water and moisture from leaking through. This helps prevent molds and mildews from forming and building up inside different areas of the house. In addition, the composition of the product makes it impossible for molds and mildews to live and grow for long periods of time.
- Spray foam insulation has a higher R-value as compared to other types of insulation materials. R-value is used to rate the effectiveness of an insulation material from resisting thermal conductivity. There are two types of spray foam insulation. Depending on where the product would be installed, a specific type may be used over the other. When it comes to their R-value ratings, closed cell spray foam insulation has a rating of at least 6.0 per inch. The other type, open cell spray foam insulation, has a rating between 3.6 and 3.8 per inch. These values are considered to be on the upper bracket for insulation materials.
- Longevity is another of the main benefits homeowners will get with spray foam insulation. When the product is sprayed on to the needed areas, the foam formed from mixing the chemicals is known to expand after a bit of time. Eventually, the product dries up and hardens, which seals up all of the voids regardless of their sizes. After the product hardens, it is known to be unaffected by extreme weather conditions and is not affected by corrosion. Without any significant force being applied to the product, it is known not to easily break or get damaged. Pests or animals may need to exert some force to scratch or claw their way through the insulation material. In most cases, if the spray foam insulation material is not exposed to excessive amounts of force, it can live up to 50 years. This makes it a very cost-effective type of insulation material.
Cost To Insulate A 1,200 Sq.Ft. House With Spray Foam
It is highly advised that using spray foam to insulate your house should be applied only by professional installers. This is needed because the product is made up of chemicals that are known to be intoxicating when inhaled or ingested. A protective gear is needed to be worn at all times while in the process of applying the product. Also, by hiring an insulation contractor, you are assured that the job will be done efficiently and safely. A contractor is known to employ a team that is familiar with the best ways of working when installing spray foam insulation. In addition, they are also equipped with the latest and complete tools and equipment that is needed to complete the job without making mistakes. However, to give you a better idea of how much it may cost to have a professional team of experts to do the job, you should consider the different variables and average market prices. You may refer below for more information on the cost to insulate a 1,200 sq.ft. house with spray foam:
- A 1,200 sq.ft. house with 3 doors that have dimensions of 3’x7′ each and 4 windows with dimensions of 2.5’x3′ each. Having such dimensions would equate to the need to cover a total of 538 board feet with spray foam insulation.
- Average market price of closed cell spray foam insulation with an R-value of 6.0 per inch is currently at around CAD 1.50/bd.ft.
- Average labor cost which includes preparation, installation, cleanup, & other materials needed to do the job is around CAD 1.90/bd.ft.
Having computed the total board feet that will be needed to be covered to do the job, the first step is to compute how much the total cost will be for the spray foam insulation to cover 538 board feet. This is done by multiplying the average market price of the spray foam insulation material, CAD 1.50/bd.ft., with 538 board feet. The resulting total will be CAD 807. The next step is to compute the total labor cost to do the job. This is done by multiplying the average labor cost, CAD 1.90/bd.ft., with 538 board feet. The total labor cost would come up to CAD 1,022.20. By adding up both totals, the resulting amount of CAD 1,829.20 will be the total cost of the project.
Related Article: What is the Cost of Spray Foam Insulation?
Cost-Effectiveness Bears More Weight With Insulation
Even though it would seem that homeowners would need to spend more to have spray foam insulation installed in their houses, based on the benefits that they will be receiving for using such material make it more cost-effective. The value of spray foam insulation can be seen with the product’s durability and its effectiveness to ensure that air and water can never leak through the different areas of the house. Homeowners should first get in touch with spray foam insulation contractors to have their properties evaluated first. These contractors will be able to give them complete reports that would clearly explain the price quotations they will be getting from them. If you need to have your property evaluated on your insulation needs, it is highly recommended that you contact Spray Foam Insulation at (416) 880-1927. Our team of experts is always ready to help answer your concerns.