To create an excellent living environment, homeowners need to consider the energy efficiency in their houses. By looking into this, it not only answers issues regarding high energy bills, but it also answers the importance of having comfortable living conditions. Insulation deals a lot with keeping the right amounts of heat or coldness within a house. This is crucial for homeowners, especially for those living in Canada, where extreme climate changes affect them all throughout the year. One of the most important parts of the house that needs to be insulated is its roof. There are various benefits when the roof is insulated and knowing its best type of insulation will only make it better and prolong its lifespan.
The Important Things To Know About Roof Insulation
Insulation is a very important aspect that needs to be installed by professionals to ensure that it becomes effective. Considering the fact that a house receives multiple benefits from installing insulation, homeowners should try to install the best type of insulation that would fit the roofs of their houses. The roof is a crucial part of a house that needs to be insulated since it is exposed to forces like the sun, rain, air, and dust. A roof has many parts where the possibility of cracks or voids may develop over time.
The issue with houses that have no proper insulation is that different forces may pass through any of these cracks or voids at any given time. For houses situated in Canada, hot and cold air will constantly flow into the houses at any time of the year. This would make heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems (HVAC) work inefficiently and cause an increase in energy usage. To know more information about roof insulation, you may refer to the details below:
- Insulation is used as a solution to prevent hot air from entering or leaving the house. Hot air is known to flow into areas where the temperature is lower. Just like in summer, the hot air coming from outside the house will enter the house through the voids or cracks found on different parts of the house, just like its roof. When this happens, the air-conditioning system of the house will not be able to reach the preferred temperature that was set on its thermostat. This in turn will keep the air-conditioning system running and use up energy. However, with proper insulation installed, hot air pockets will not be formed inside the house, and the air-conditioning system will be able to reach the desired temperature faster and will stop using up unneeded energy.
- Roof insulation also helps prevent water or rain from seeping into the house. This is very crucial as moisture is a cause for molds and mildews from forming and living inside houses. Molds and mildews are known to cause an allergic reaction to some people. These become major health problems to the occupants of the house. In addition to the problem with regards to allergies, dust is also a problem that is blocked from entering the houses or garages.
- Another problem that is prevented by roof insulation is the infestation of pests inside the houses or garages. Pests may include flying insects which might carry some diseases that could be lethal to the inhabitants. Roof insulation can help prevent the spread of these diseases and help protect the inhabitants from getting bitten or injured from these pests.
Related Article: What are the Different Types of Roof Insulation?
The Best Type Of Insulation For The Roof
With a wide variety of materials to choose from that can be used to insulate the roof of a house, spray foam insulation has been known to be the best and most effective among them. This is because spray foam insulation can cover areas that are hard to reach while also creating a product that is known to be durable. Spray polyurethane foam (SPF) is created by mixing the two chemicals; isocyanate and resin.
The product is sprayed on the surfaces that have voids and cracks. The product will then expand and harden after some time. The good thing with spray foam insulation is that it can be applied on any part of the roof. Depending on the type of roofing being used, it may even be applied by spraying the product over the top of the entire roof. This can help protect the roofing material from getting damaged by wear and tear. Spray foam is not affected by corrosion. This would make it possible to prevent any parts of the roof from rusting. Spray foam insulation has various advantages that make it better than other types of roof insulation. The following list details these advantages:
- Spray foam insulation has one of the highest R-values among roof insulation materials. R-value is the measurement being used to know how much an insulation material can resist heat flow. The higher the R-value would mean that the material can effectively prevent heat from flowing through. Spray foam insulation comes in two types. Closed cell spray foam is the type that makes it harder for water and air to leak into due to its closed cell composition. It has an R-value of at least 6.0 per inch. The other type is known as Open cell spray foam insulation. This type of spray foam insulation has the ability to expand more than closed cell spray foam insulation. This makes it more efficient to apply on bigger surface areas. It has an R-value between 3.6 and 3.8 per inch.
- With the foam material being very flexible before it hardens, it has the ability to reach even the smallest areas around the roofing materials. This makes it possible to effectively seal any openings that may not be visible to the naked eye. Air and water are able to pass through these openings. These areas need to be sealed to ensure that the house is protected at all times. Also, it is easier for spray foam to fully cover any penetration on the roof.
- Flashing is an important concept when it comes to roof insulation. It is very crucial that the insulation material is able to effectively stick completely to the roofing material, especially with its irregular shapes. Spray foam insulation is known to be self-flashing as it can conform to just about any type of irregular shape. This will assure the homeowner that water or air will not have any room to pass through into the house.
- Spray foam insulation is also known to be seamless. There will be no seams showing after the material has hardened on the roofing material as compared to other types of roofing insulation where seams are formed due to the materials being cut and connected to ensure that all the areas are covered. These seams are known to separate over time, which will be the cause for water and air to leak through. Homeowners may fail to notice these things as the seams may be located in areas that may not be clear. They might suddenly get shocked when they find molds and mildews growing in these areas after a few years.
- Molds and mildews cannot survive living on spray foam material. The chemical composition of the spray foam material is not considered to be a source of food for molds and mildews. For those who plan to use fiberglass blankets as their roof insulation material, they need to make sure that the material will not be exposed to water or moisture. Even though fiberglass is also not a source of food for molds and mildews, issues can be found on its backing material which is made of paper. Paper is a known source of food for these molds and mildews. They will have the opportunity to form and survive on these insulation blankets.
- Spray foam can last for more than 10 years without the need for maintenance. If the product was installed by an insulation contractor, then the homeowner is assured that the material can withstand any type of climate changes. The only thing the homeowner needs to check is if the roof has been hit physically by hard objects. Spray foam insulation may get damaged or break when applied with force or scratched by animals. When it comes to the need for re-coating of the spray foam insulation material, the homeowner can check if the material has already thinned down as compared to when it was first applied. However, to make it easier, homeowners can also hire a spray foam insulation contractor to check the roof every 10 years to see if re-coating will be needed.
Spray Foam Roof Insulation Is Your Cost-Effective Choice
Insulating the roof of your house should be done using the best materials possible. Spray foam insulation may be one of the more expensive choices in the market, but its effectiveness makes it one of the most cost-effective choices. By hiring the services of an insulation contractor, a homeowner is assured that the job will be done in the most efficient way possible. Also, homeowners will not get into any health risks if contractors are doing the job for them. If you are currently in search of an insulation contractor, you may contact the Spray Foam Insulation at (416) 880-1927.