One of the more dreadful things that people think about is paying bills. The mixture of the inconvenience of having to pay the bills and the amount that is needed to be paid can sometimes be a headache to each and every one of us. One of the bills that more often than not fluctuate is the monthly energy bill. Most especially in countries that have regular climate changes which may need you to invest in solutions like heating and air-conditioning.
In relation to the increase in energy bills, people even go to the extent of installing a solar energy system to the home or office. However, these people fail to realize that these issues may have been avoiding if they focused more on fixing the insulation of the building. By improving the insulation of the house or office, there is a balance in the warmness and coolness of the place even under extreme climate changes. As there are multiple ways to insulate a building, spray foam insulation is one way that has been going around for quite some time now.
Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF)
Spray foam insulation is the process of applying a mix of chemicals on to surfaces like the ceilings, walls, basements, and other areas of the house or office that have cracks or gaps which cause hot or cold air from passing in and out of the place. The chemicals form into a foam-like texture which would seal those cracks and gaps and improve the insulation of the area. Application of this type of installation is by spraying the chemicals on to the surfaces.
Types of spray foam insulation
Based on the person’s budget, location, or coverage he may choose from 2 types of spray foam insulation. Below is some information about the types of spray foam insulation to give you a clearer idea when and where to use them:
Open Cell Spray Foam
- A soft low-density material that is suitable for interior application like basements, attics, underside of roof decks, or wall cavities.
- Allows bi-directional drying of wall assembly.
- Improves the quality of air indoors.
- Helps dampen sound.
- Allows for moisture permeability that contributes to the moisture management.
Closed Cell Spray Foam
- A rigid medium-density material that is suitable for both interior and exterior application.
- Improves the impact resistance of the wall.
- Due to the composition of its cells, there is strong protection against water damage.
Application of spray foam insulation
The process of applying can be done by anyone as long as the person has the proper tools and equipment. However, one must also be familiar with the steps and processes and must apply the product with precision and accuracy to avoid ruining or wasting the product. It is highly recommended though that the job be done by professionals to avoid health issues and future problems. Experts know there will be problems with the chemicals since the end result may be that the foam is either too soft or the foam turns brittle. Installation is done by spraying the mixture of 2 parts: isocyanate and resin.
Cost of spray foam insulation
It would be best to first inquire with a professional team or expert on how to go about improving the insulation of your house or office. The experts will help you evaluate your office or house to get an exact estimate of the project scope. A lot of factors can affect the costing of a project like the thickness of the spray foam insulation, the type of spray foam insulation to be used, and the the area that needs to be worked on. However, for those who want to get a rough idea of the costing for the application of the spray foam insulation, the average costing of materials and labor must be considered. Let us use the following information to get a sample computation:
Project: Improvement of the insulation of the house by applying spray foam on the ceiling
- Total area to be covered: 2,000 sq.ft.
- Closed spray foam insulation: average price per sq.ft. for R-7 is CAD 1.30
- Labor & installation (preparation, installation, cleanup, & other materials needed): average price per sq.ft. is CAD 1.00
Based on the information above, you must first multiply the average price per sq.ft. of the R7 closed spray foam insulation to the total area of the ceiling. The amount would come up to CAD 2,600. Then the labor & installation cost per square foot is multiplied to the total ceiling area. This results to CAD 2,000. By adding both totals, the final project cost will be CAD 4,600.
Advantages of applying spray foam insulation
Spray foam insulation is known to be more expensive than other types. However, when applied properly it definitely has its benefits, which is why this type of insulation has been preferred throughout the years. To give you a clearer view on why the cost of spray foam installation is worth it, please see the list below:
- When done right, expect to have considerable savings on your energy bill. You do not need to install and energy saving equipment or system to your house which may cause more than just fixing your insulation.
- With the small opening on your walls covered by spray foam insulation, the amount of noise heard from the outside drastically decreases.
- When cracks, opening, and holes are covered by the product, dust particles coming from the outside will not be able to go in as the opening are already blocked.
- The product does not absorb water which keeps it from getting molds and mildew.
- As the product consists only of polyurethane and isocyanate, mixing the two would create foam that would eventually expand and harden as it cures. This is then known to last and not lose shape for a long time.
Throughout the years, spray foam insulation was able to stand the test of time. Being able to improve the insulation of a building is very important for energy savings purpose. However, one must not forget that applying the product by yourself might do more harm to yourself and everyone around you.
Resources are meant to be saved when one plans to install insulation. That is why it is needed to consult a professional before doing any purchases first. Having experts handle the evaluation and installation would keep a more secure and healthier environment. For more information and concerns regarding spray foam insulation you can Foam Insulation Company at (416) 880-1927.